For those that have lost all or most of their natural teeth, dentures can provide a new lease on a beautiful and functional smile. With today’s modern materials and designs, removable dentures are more comfortable and natural-looking than ever before. However, don’t make the mistake of assuming your dentures don’t need special care. Just like your real teeth, dentures demand a certain level of cleaning and care to retain their condition. Remember that taking care of your dentures supports your oral health, which in turn protects your overall health!
When denture care is neglected or avoided, a wide variety of dental issues can result, such as ill-fitting dentures, chronic bad breath, gum disease and more. Don’t worry; your denture care routine doesn’t have to be complicated or extensive. However, there are a few “do’s and don’ts” that you’ll need to follow if you want to protect your denture investment and retain that beautiful new smile:
- DO rinse dentures after every meal.
- DO brush your dentures daily. Brush gently, just like you would your real teeth.
- DO keep your dentures hydrated. Soak them each night (in water or a denture solution).
- DO visit your dentist routinely to evaluate your denture fit and your oral health condition.
- DO handle dentures with care (they are made of delicate materials).
- DON’T use harsh or abrasive paste or hard bristles.
- DON’T try to adjust or fix your dentures on your own.
- DON’T sleep in your dentures.
- DON’T let them dry out.
At Park South Dentistry, we proudly provide some of the latest denture systems available. However, without proper care, even the most advanced denture will fail and can lead to disruptive dental problems. Our dentists value the importance of providing detailed denture care tips to patients who are replacing a full arch of missing teeth.
30 Central Park South, Suite 13C
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (212) 355-2000