Is dental phobia keeping you from receiving routine dental care or preventing you from taking advantage of cosmetic dentistry? According to the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS Education), 30% of the population avoids the dentist due to fear. Fortunately, there is a solution: sedation dentistry.
Sedation dentistry is used to provide a relaxed and calm experience for certain people receiving dental treatment. There are various types of sedation dentistry, including oral sedation (oral medications), IV sedation (requires licensed professional), and nitrous oxide. Park South Dentistry proudly offers nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, as a safe and effective choice to help patients remain anxiety-free during their dental procedures.
- N2O is a non-allergenic, non-irritating and colorless gas that is inhaled through a nosepiece or mask. Patients report that nitrous oxide has a sweet and pleasant smell. By simply breathing it in, patients with anxiety will relax and feel less discomfort during dental work. Nitrous oxide is one of the safest forms of sedation available.
- Comfortable, Yet Aware
- When using nitrous oxide, patients are put into a heightened state of well-being, yet they remain conscious and aware of their surroundings. You will have the freedom and ability to communicate with your dentist and react to his instructions throughout your procedure.
- Time Efficient
- Not only does time seem to go by quickly for patients using sedation dentistry, but it can also allow for multiple office visits to be condensed into one longer procedure. Since patients are able to remain comfortable, procedures that normally would take several appointments can be performed in a single, more intensive procedure.
- Quick to Act, Quick to Leave
- You can expect to feel Nitrous Oxide take effect within 3 – 5 minutes. After the procedure, the sedation effects of N2O leave just as quickly, usually within 3 – 5 minutes of discontinuing the gas. A significant and convenient benefit for patients using laughing gas is that they are able to safely drive themselves home or to work at the end of their appointment.
Remember that sedation dentistry can be used for a simple, routine dental cleaning or a major smile makeover. Don’t let your dread of the dental chair compromise your oral health or keep you from achieving a more attractive smile. Ask Park South Dentistry about sedation dentistry for your next appointment.